Neck pain is a very common complaint. Although there are many potential causes of neck pain, and thus many potential solutions, chiropractic treatment is often well-suited for those seeking relief.
Chiropractic Techniques for Neck Pain Relief
A chiropractor will begin by looking at a patient’s medical history and lifestyle. After identifying risk factors and taking into account the patient’s specific neck pain issues, a chiropractor will then make use of one or several chiropractic techniques including:
Spinal Manipulation Techniques
- Flexion-distraction: This technique uses spinal manipulation that is both gentle and applied by the hands. It uses a pumping action to apply indirect force on the intervertebral discs.
- Instrument Assisted Manipulation: By using a handheld machine, a chiropractor can apply force to the spine without a thrusting motion.
- Specific Spinal Manipulation: This technique makes use of a gentle thrusting technique which can help to restore joint movement.
- Instrument-Assisted Soft Tissue Therapy: Sound waves are used to break down scar tissue and promote soft tissue healing.
- Manual Joint Stretching: Chiropractor-assisted stretching techniques can help to increase joint mobility and decrease neck pain. A chiropractor will help you to widen your painless range of motion.
- Therapeutic Massage: A chiropractor may use massage to relieve stress from muscles and help to promote muscular healing.
- Trigger Point Therapy: Trigger points are specific small areas of the body that often cause big amounts of pain. Depending on the individual, trigger points may be the culprit in their neck pain. A chiropractor can focus on these specific points to relieve pain.